My seven year old is a vegetarian. When she started her quest of avoiding meat we thought just cutting out meat itself would be enough, but it has become a journey of shocking, jaw-dropping discovery at just what contains ground-up animal parts. As a result, I am now a veggie. So I have gone from researching good recipes and nutritional information, which is essential for such a young vegetarian, to the family taking on a healthier, more compassionate outlook on life.

Saturday 28 April 2007

Vegetarian and proud!

Many people ask me if my girl has chosen to be a veggie or have I made her do it. They assume that, as a vegetarian, I have forced her to be one as well, in fact it was the other way round, she became one and I couldn’t think of one good reason why I was eating meat.
When she questioned me about what I was eating and I tried to explain that: ‘we are at the top of the food chain,’ ‘that is how it has always been,’ ‘we are meant to eat meat,’ it all sounded so lame, she knew it and said: ‘That is no excuse Mum.‘
She was right, so I joined her.

She has been a vegetarian for nearly a year and is thriving on it, she is as fit as the proverbial fiddle, has tonnes of energy and although she has a sweet tooth (just like her Mum) we don’t have the worry, like an increasing number of parents do, about their little ones becoming obese big ones.

I’ve been a full blown vegetarian now for just over a month, I say full blown as we rarely ate meat anyway, maybe once or twice a month. As ridiculous as it sounds it has had a wonderful psychological effect on me, I feel as though I am so much more healthy and I am actually watching what I eat.
I realise that by fully cutting out meat it won’t have a huge weight loss effect on me, had I been eating two large steaks everyday, it would have done, but anyway, I’m not eating it at all so I won’t be getting the meat fat.

I am also very proud to be a vegetarian, I don’t want to be one of those people who drops it into every conversation, but I just don’t seem to be able to help myself! It just seems to come up, everything seems connected to it somehow, ‘I’m watching my weight, I’m a vegetarian,’ ‘I’m a vegetarian, do you know what rennet is?’ ‘I’m a vegetarian and I can still eat chocolate!’

No comments: