My seven year old is a vegetarian. When she started her quest of avoiding meat we thought just cutting out meat itself would be enough, but it has become a journey of shocking, jaw-dropping discovery at just what contains ground-up animal parts. As a result, I am now a veggie. So I have gone from researching good recipes and nutritional information, which is essential for such a young vegetarian, to the family taking on a healthier, more compassionate outlook on life.

Wednesday 18 April 2007

Tasty alternatives......

My little girl is ace. Not only has she decided she wants to be vegetarian, but she happily tries all the substitutes and I am pleased to say is thriving on them.

Her favourite so far is the Quorn spicy chicken style burgers, although difficult to buy (hardly anywhere sells them) she loves them. They have plenty of taste and none of the meat fat, gristle and rubbish you would find in a cheap chicken burger.

Asda do their own range of vegetarian ready meals, their mince and gravy pies are lovely. Although I have to say, I don’t understand my wanting to eat things that taste like meat (faux bacon, mince meat) when being a veggie means you don’t want to eat meat, I’m confused by my irrational behaviour!

Pre having a pint-sized vegetarian in the house, I used to buy Quorn mince, as it is better for us than the fatty meat alternative, but I have, for a long time now, used lentils instead of mince. I came late to lentils, I was never very keen on them, but when they are in a cottage pie or bolognaise sauce they take on the flavour, bulk it up and they taste good. And best of all, there isn’t any fat, good for those of us trying to watch our weight.

Being a vegetarian has become so much easier in recent years as there are many alternatives readily available. I’m glad to say each supermarket giant has jumped onto the vegetarian bandwagon, they have realised there are thousands of us out there needing good veggie meals and meat alternatives.

No comments: